Dominus Illuminatio Mea

"...the gaze of the Church is constantly turned to her Lord, present in the Sacrament of the Altar, in which she discovers the FULL manifestantion of His boundless love." Ecclesia de Eucharistia

Thursday, December 25, 2003

It's Christmas! Had a nice day. My family and I went off to 10 o'clock Liturgy which turned out to be in Slavanic. "Hospodi pomiluj...!" Very beautiful though. The Slavanic is always gorgeous. It's always a joy to see the very little children receiving the Eucharist (in the Byzantine Rite even infants receive the Precious Blood). It doesn't matter if they don't understand really, because He enters their souls with love anyway. They must be very pure tabernacles for Him.

We went to pick up my brother a few days ago from college and then headed off to Chicago to spend a few days with relatives. A fun time was had by all, and it was nice to see grandma before Christmas. I read Ecclesia de Eucharistia on the 8 hour trip there. It completely took my breath away. Our Holy Father is a man of immense wisdom. Here are some quotes that struck me:


"The Church draws her life from the Eucharist. This truth does not simply express a daily experience of faith, but recapitulates the heart of the mystery of the Church. In a variety of ways she joyfully experiences the constant fulfilment of the promise: "I am with you always, to the close of the age" (Mt 28:20), but in the Holy Eucharist, through the changing of bread and wine into the body and blood of the Lord, she rejoices in this presence with unique intensity. Ever since Pentecost, when the Church, the People of the New Covenant, began her pilgrim journey towards her heavenly homeland, the Divine Sacrament has continued to mark the passing of her days, filling them with confident hope."


On second thought...it is absolutely impossible to quote everything from this that made an impression on me because the whole thing did! That's a quote of the first paragraph, and the rest of it is equally dynamic. If you haven't read it yet, please do!!!! St. John Vianney once wrote that we would die of love if we truly realized what is happening when we receive the Eucharist. We need to, as Christians, be filled with the "Eucharistic amazement" the the Holy Father mentions so often. The Eucharist is, after all, the core and center of Christian and Catholic life.

Speaking of the Eucharist...I'm greatly looking forward to January's FOP (festival of praise). I'm not really sure if I like the whole charismatic thing, but if I get to be in the Presence of God, well that's quite enough!! My little sister is coming with me which should be interesting since she isn't Catholic. The other kids will make her feel welcome though. I'll explain or get one of the brothers to explain what on earth Adoration is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home