Dominus Illuminatio Mea

"...the gaze of the Church is constantly turned to her Lord, present in the Sacrament of the Altar, in which she discovers the FULL manifestantion of His boundless love." Ecclesia de Eucharistia

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Prior to our arrival in Cologne, our pilgrimage group made a visit to the concentration camp at Dachau on the vigil of the Assumption and the Feastday of St. Maximillian Kolbe. Built on the camp property is a Carmelite monastery founded for the purpose of making reparation for past attrocities. We learned while Fr. Jonathan that the camp was the main site for the imprisonment of Catholic priests...I can't remember now how many thousands of Shepherds passed through those gates inscribed with the words, "work shall set you free." It occured to me while we were there that those words were entirely true for the imprisoned priests in a way that their captors could not have imagined. The priests were participating in the final "work" of Christ...His suffering.
Today I discovered a Carmelite Blessed whose story is relatively unknown. Fr. Titus was called by his captors, "that dangerous little friar" and was a very vocal critic of the nazi government. He didn't seek martyrdom, but was imprisoned and was subject to experimentation and died by lethal injection. He suffered with joy.

BEFORE A PICTURE OF JESUS IN MY CELL

A new awareness of Thy love
Encompasses my heart:
Sweet Jesus, I in Thee and Thou
In me shall never part.

No grief shall fall my way but I
Shall see Thy grief-filled eyes;
The lonely way that Thou once walked
Has made me sorrow-wise.

All trouble is a white-lit joy
That lights my darkest day;
Thy love has turned to brightest light
This night-like way.

If I have Thee alone,
The hours will bless
With still, cold hands of love
My utter loneliness.

Stay with me, Jesus, only stay;
I shall not fear
If, reaching out my hand,
I feel Thee near.

Father Titus Brandsma, O.Carm.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hi, you have a swell blog here! I will certainly return for another look ! I have an low cholesterol foods site. It well-nigh treats a great deal that equates to low cholesterol foodsissues. If you possess the chance, please come and check it out.

     
  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger DigitalCamera said…

    Hey there, you've got a great blog here! I'm thinking of bookmarking your site!

    I have a Perfumes site. It pretty much covers Perfumes

    related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger Flos Carmeli said…

    Dear
    that's a nice blog. Really enjoyed reading about blessed Titus Brandsma.
    Ricardo - OTC
    www.floscarmeli.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home